16 February 2014

COLLECTIONS | CD's


1. Rich Kids EP - Washington
My brother actually bought a bunch of discounted CD's one day and this was one of them, then a few months later I discovered Washington and he gave me this EP to have. The majority of these tracks are Washington's slower songs, including Someone Else In Mind, Belly Of The Whale and an exclusive demo of Five and Ten, a ballad about her and her sister.
2. Lady's Bridge - Richard Hawley
I discovered Richard Hawley a few years ago through his collaborations with Arctic Monkeys and so I thought I would start listening to his stuff. Although I haven't been around to listening to this particular record, I've been hooked on his 2009 album Truelove's Gutter, which is packed with heartachingly beautiful love songs.
3. Inside In Inside Out - The Kooks
Putting aside the small dispute between Arctic Monkeys and The Kooks, I cannot point out any major faults in this album. There are tracks that make this album enjoyable to listen to from start to finish including their overly quoted song Seaside, the anthem Ooh La in the middle of the tracklist and Naive, one of their most played songs.
4. Live In London - Regina Spektor
This concert film and live album, in my opinion, has the perfect mix of Regina Spektor songs. She features song of her upbeat tracks such as Folding Chair and That Time, and she also includes her classic slower ballads like Eet, Blue Lips and Samson. AND for all you Narnia fans, a live performance of The Call is featured on the DVD as bonus content! 
5. Under The Iron Sea - Keane
I have been a fan of Keane's 2009 album Hopes and Fears, and when I found this album for literally $1.99 I had to give it a listen. It starts off with an empowering track Atlantis, which has strings and a sort of a Muse-esque sound, but the Keane sound still obviously remains. The rest of the album has a more pop vibe, exemplified in the track A Bad Dream
6. Even If It Kills Me - Motion City Soundtrack 
The story behind me owning this album is that I was shopping with a friend and he had a giftcard that he wanted to spend and we were going through a bunch of CD's and I pointed to this one and mentioned that I like one of their later albums My Dinosaur Life. I tried to convince my friend that I didn't want or need this album, but I have it and two years later, I still haven't listened to it.
7. Matangi - M.I.A 
This was an album that I and many other fans had been waiting for for 8 months. It was promised to come out in April 2013 but due to record label issues, the release date ended up being November 4th. I have called it my favourite album of 2013, with absolutely no fault throughout the entire album. I highly recommend this album no matter what genre you're into.
8. When The Sun Goes Down - Arctic Monkeys
I found this Arctic Monkeys single amongst a box of assorted CD's at one of my local second-hand stores and to this day, has been on of my favourite finds ever. Although it only has 3 tracks, they all have that early Arctic Monkeys energy that you can't not love!
9. Brand New Eyes - Paramore
This album was obviously purchased by my 14-year-old oblivious self during what I remember it being, the longest Paramore phase 5 years ago. To be completely honest, this was the last album of Paramore that I listened to religiously and I'll admit that their first two albums were and still are quality.
10. The State Of Things - Reverend and The Makers
I bought this album after a friend recommended the band and after seeing Arctic Monkeys' ex-bassist Andy Nicholson constantly talk about them on twitter. They've got a different sound - its not quite alternative and its not quite pop, but its brilliant. Also, the Yorkshire accent is evident, which is always good.
11. Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not - Arctic Monkeys
Iconic album art, iconic songs. This first album from Arctic Monkeys starts and ends with an epic bang.
12. I Believe You Liar - Washington
Throughout this album, Washington has mixed up a perfect tracklist of slow and dance-worthy songs such as the calm I Believe You Liar and the cheerful Sunday Best. Not only is it Washington's first full length studio album, but my particular copy has been touched and signed by Megan Washington herself when I met her at Newtown, Sydney a few years ago.
13. Spiceworld - Spice Girls 
The Spice Girls were my favourite artists growing up and I've probably had this CD in my possession for about 16 years, but I re-discovered it last year and I found that it's still 100% enjoyable!
14. The Secret Life Of... - The Veronicas 
Who remembers this twin sister duo? Now rocking tattoos and dyed hair, The Veronicas were my idols when I was in Year 6 because they just seemed so badass and they had a song for every emotion that a 12-year-old girl was going through including songs like 4ever, When It All Falls Apart and Leave Me Alone - the song titles speak for themselves...
15. Humbug - Arctic Monkeys
This album is important. I could write a whole other blog post on just this record but I'll keep it brief for now. The copy that I have took me the longest time to own because it was as if no record store stocked it. I've always described this album as listening to a piece of fine art because the lyrics are so thoughtfully made up and its produced beautifully. Start to finish is ace.
16. The Sound Of White - Missy Higgins
I'm not sure how this ended up in my collection but it's a good album nonetheless. All tracks are quite 'chilled' and I remember being a massive fan of a few of the songs - Nightminds in particular.
17. Tightrope - Stephanie Mcintosh
I went through a brief Stephanie Mcintosh phase in 2006 around about the same time I watched Neighbours for a period of time and when she had her own Television show. My Mum actually bought this CD for me; an album that screams prepubescent fangirl trying to be edgy.
18. Suck It And See - Arctic Monkeys 
Some strong anthems with sing-a-long choruses, and some cruising tracks and some slow love songs. Arctic Monkeys prove that you can be a badass and a soppy love song writer all at once throughout this album.
19. AM - Arctic Monkeys
Another flawless album that I skipped school to buy on its Australian release date. There's something extremely sexy about the sound of this album, especially heard in Do I Wanna Know? and Arabella.
20. Favourite Worst Nightmare - Arctic Monkeys
Not one boring song on this album, starting with the feisty Brianstorm and ending with the iconic 505, which they've been playing out for years at their gigs . This is such a classic album and brings forward many memories for many fans.
21. Aleph - Gesaffelstein
This album is like nothing you've ever heard before and I'm still blown away by the sounds that are on this album. Not only is the music breath-taking, but the album art is beautifully designed - intricate yet minimal.

- AlissAMR 

No comments:

Post a Comment