21 September 2013

Our artsy day at Chippendale!

Welcome to my first blog post!

Today is the 21st September 2013 and tomorrow is my best friend's 18th birthday. My gift to her was a day out looking at art and treating her to some of her favourite foods. We headed into the city and after a spot of lunch and Maryann tearing up because of the food, we made our way to Chippendale for some art appreciation time.

We found loads of people setting up for what seemed to be a really artistic music video (because of the soft boxes, projectors, visual props and cameras). We both felt that something was up but sort of nudged it off and continued into the White Rabbit Gallery. The place was well hidden, but it was so aesthetically pleasing and the works were super impressive...
* Sorry I didn't write down or take photos of some of the artists/artist statements


^ This one stood out because, obviously, it was effing monumental, but also because it was kind of a consumerist take on feminism where the phrase "Diamonds matter most" is spread across the work in bright green neon lights and behind that; a woman sitting on top of a beast with her head held high. 


^ This installation was kind of relevant, as I'm going over to Asia for a month next year. I've been twice and I know what the poorer areas look like and I know what the wealthier places look like. This work has addressed the vendors that are so common in Asian countries and has become a part of their culture.


^ This work was extremely tedious. The artist had used a variety of stickers as their chosen medium, which I think addresses the chaotic contemporary culture in a way that is juxtaposed by a figure of peace.

There are more, but you'd be sat here for hours reading about my own critical interpretations of Asian art, so I'll stop here...

After looking through 4 floors of art, we stepped outside to find dozens of artists setting up installations. Maryann and I went for a walk and soon figured out that this was all part of the Beams art Festival as part of Sydney's Art & About Festival. Some of the things that were setting up were actually so so interesting;

there was an alley-way-long table for a feast;

a floating ball made out of goon bags;


and a morbidly rad face on a wall wearing a balaclava.





- AlissAMR

No comments:

Post a Comment